8th Annual Orpheus MeadFest Competition
Friday and Saturday September 7-8 2018
Please note: The competition judging is a private event and is not open to the public.
MeadFest Tasting and Awards Ceremony
Saturday, September 29th 2018 4-7 PM
13th Avenue and Williams Street on Denver’s Cheesman Park
As an AHA/BJCP sanctioned mead-only competition, we follow their 2015 style guidelines, rules, standards, and procedures. Both home- and commercial brewers may enter as many meads as they like in the competition.
To download the 2015 Mead Style guidelines, go to https://bjcp.org/stylecenter.php
- The entry fee is $10.00; an entry consists of two bottles of at least 10 ounces and up to 22 ounces in volume. Oversized and unusual bottles are allowed as long as they meet the rules for labeling.
- An awards ceremony will be held afterwards to announce the winners in each category and Best of Show.
- This competition is open to brewers age 21 or older.
- Each entry will be judged according to the current BJCP guidelines: BJCP website
Drop Off and Shipping Locations
- Entries may be dropped off at the address below during business hours from Monday, July 23 through Sunday, August 26th.
- Entries may be shipped via Fedex and UPS or dropped off during business hours to:
1705 Wadsworth Blvd., Lakewood CO 80214
425 W. 115th Ave, Unit 6
Northglenn, CO 80234
2245 W. Eisenhower Blvd, Loveland, CO 80
Ship entries via a private shipping company (UPS, Fedex, etc.). DO NOT SHIP ENTRIES VIA THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE. IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHIP ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES VIA THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE. However, it is not against any federal laws to ship your entries via a privately-owned shipping company for analytical purposes. It is solely your responsibility to follow all applicable laws and regulations, Check with your shipping company about their procedures!
Orpheus cannot acknowledge receipt of your package. If you wish to confirm delivery of your package, arrange for a return receipt with your shipping company. Packages with postage due or C.O.D. charges will be returned to sender.
Every reasonable effort will be made to contact entrants whose bottles have broken to make arrangements for sending replacement bottles.
1. What kind of bottle is required?
Entries in bottles not meeting these requirements will be disqualified.
- Mead entries must be in bottles that hold a minimum of 10 ounces and up to 22 ounces in volume. Bottles may be of any size and color, and must be free of ink, paint, or paper labeling other than competition entry labels. Obliterate any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker. Corked bottles, odd-shaped bottles, and bottles with raised lettering are acceptable.
2. How many bottles do I need?
Send at 2 bottles for each competition sub-category entry.
3. How much are Entry Fees: $10 for each sub-category entry.
4. When are the entry deadlines? Entries must be received from Monday, July 23 until Saturday, August 26, 2018. Knowing that things can go wrong, late entries may be accepted at the sole discretion of the competition registrar.
5. How do I enter?
For the Home division:
Go to Orpheus 2018 Competition Home Division
For the Commercial division:
Go To: Orpheus 2018 Competition Commercial Division
Both sites will open on July 23, 2018. Create your account and follow the entry registration instructions. All entries must be registered online. We do not accept walk-in entries.
Safe Packing and Shipping Hints
Please pack and ship your entries so they arrive intact. Carefully pack your entries in a sturdy box. Line the inside of your package with a plastic trash bag. Partition and pack each bottle with adequate packaging material. Please refrain from using packing “peanuts” if possible; use bubble wrap or newspaper instead. Do not over-pack! Your package should weigh less than 25 pounds.
Read “How to Pack Your Beer,” a downloadable PDF file from Zymurgy Spring 1991 (Vol. 14, No. 1) for excellent advice on how to save time and money, and avoid broken bottles. Also refer to “The Competitive Edge,” an article about entering competitions in Zymurgy Spring 1996 (Vol. 19, No. 1). Contact email@example.com to obtain an electronic copy.
6. Are there entry limitations?
- You must be at least 21 years old to enter.
- Judges may not judge a category they have entered, and stewards may not steward a category they have entered.
PART II – The Fine Print
All judging will be performed on September 7-8 2018 at a private location. Winners will be announced at the MeadFest awatds ceremony on Saturday September 29, 2018
- We will strive to post the score sheets with judges’ comments on the competition websites by September 30th, 2018.
- Awards will be awarded to the first-, second-, and third-place finishers scoring 30 or higher in each category. Entries must score 30 or better to compete in Best of Show, although scoring a 30 or better does not guarantee advancement. If there are less than three entries scoring 30 or better in a given category, judges will award fewer than three entries for that category.2. Best In Show Award
C. Return Policy
No entries will be returned whether received late or otherwise. All entries become property of the Orpheus Cup MeadFest.
D. Refund Policy
No refunds will be given.
Entries failing to meet requirements listed in these Competition Rules will be disqualified. Disqualified entries may still be judged, but will not be eligible for awards or prizes.
PART III: Special Ingredients::Please refer to the 2015 BJCP Mead Style Guidelines
All entries must specify level of sweetness (dry, semi-sweet, sweet), carbonation (sparkling, petillant, or still), and strength (hydromel, standard, sack). Please list all ingredients and honey type.
Entries in categories 25C and 26A, B, & C require style and/or special ingredient information. A mead listed in a category not requiring special ingredients should not have any special ingredients listed.
Entries in 25C Other Fruit Melomel
- You must also specify the varieties of fruit used.
- You must also specify the spices used.
- You may also specify the base style of beer or types of malt used.
- You must also specify the special nature of the mead, whether it is a combination of existing styles, experimental mead, historical mead, or some other creation.
Please do not use brand names, geographic names, or any other proper names of special ingredients. For example, if you used Washington apples, Colorado clover honey, or Sitka spruce tips, enter only “apples, clover honey, or spruce tips" respectively. If a specific honey variety was used and the varietal character is noticeable, you may specify this in the Special Ingredients field as well.
Special Instructions for the Judges (e.g. request that the judges swirl the bottle before serving): Include all instructions in the Special Ingredients section of the registration form.